Monday, January 30, 2012

Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors! #9

I found some magic behind a door! I'm a big fan of architecture, big and small, and I think that I may have found my favorite building, in a very unexpected place. Here's a little bit of background: the local bus company here (which provides school buses to our kids, among many other things) advertised that they have an extensive lost and found collection, and are planning to donate all unclaimed items to charity soon. We're lost a couple of things over the years, and so I thought it would be wise to go and see if anything turned up. I had never been there, so I called for directions, and ended up in front of a relatively plain looking building, with a couple of olive trees planted outside. But the magic was just beginning. Here's the front door:
Pretty ordinary, right? But look in there carefully, what do you see? It's actually breathtaking:

It's a whole little greenhouse and office building, built into one! Beautiful! Wouldn't you like to work here?
I'm telling you, it's a bus company... wow. I was really blown away.

Oh, and the lost and found room is also beautifully organized, all the clothing hung neatly and arranged by color (brilliant!) and shelves full of cameras, pairs of eyeglasses, and all sorts of other valuables. I didn't find anything of ours, but I had a great time going to check!

Please join our new-ish weekly meme, Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors! All you have to do is post a photo of a window, door, or anything architectural sometime this week, link here in your post (and feel free to grab the button - it's there, all the way at the bottom), and then link to your post in the widget below. I can't wait to see what you've found this week. Thanks for coming, everyone!




6 comments:

Lesley said...

I would never have guessed this as a bus company! office! And i am impressed by the idea that all the lost and found is so neatly organized - often it is just tossed into a bin. How would you prove that an item was yours, I wonder?

Ralph said...

Same here, I never would have guessed this to be a bus company - just look at the style and detail! A bus company conjures up images of a warehouse like building full of busses, the dispatcher with a desk surrounded by vehicles. With a waiting room not much larger than a cubicle. Not at all bright and cheerful like this! Also, it is a fine company that at least allows one to try to find something without it being trashed at the end of the day. A fun capture of a place that defies stereotypes...

toby said...

Lesley - it appears to be on the honor system, and they seem pretty easygoing about it. I think that the items have been waiting around for so long that they'd be happy for anyone to take them! I never understand how people can spend so much time and effort purchasing something (there were 10 pairs of prescription eyeglasses!) and then not come looking for them - but I guess that's just me :)

Hey Harriet said...

That would have to be the sweetest looking bus company I ever did see! It's nice to see such a beautiful work environment and I bet the employees appreciate it. I would if I worked there!

Cool idea for a meme! I'll have to keep an eye out for things that fit the theme!

Thanks a bunch for visiting my blog too! I'm not sure what I'm doing with the comments. As I'm rarely signed into it I worry that I'll miss seeing any comments left and people may think I'm ignoring them, so I've switched the comments off for most of the time. I overthink things I think... ;)

Robin said...

Wow, very impressive - both the building and the service!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

That is beautiful indeed; looks like a marvelous place to work. And somebody there is very organized, judging by what you tell us of the lost and found department!

I want to thank you for inviting me to participate in your whimsical windows, delirious doors blog...I might just do that soon.