Saturday, July 4, 2009

Okay, here we go

I remember when taking photos was complicated - you could only take as many as your film allowed, and so you had to carefully weigh whether your subject and conditions were worth the risk. And then you had to be careful not to accidentally ruin the film in any number of ways. And then developing them was expensive. And only then, when they were successfully in your hands, perhaps months later, did you realize that your subject had blinked, and you should have tried once more.

Now, with digital cameras, it all seems too easy - you can take as many photos as you like
, whenever, and you can tell immediately if the shot worked or not. The fact is, I've never studied photography, and I have but a digital (albeit lovely) camera to work with - no classy lenses, no tripod, nothing. But I live in a beautiful country, and find myself taking pictures constantly. And so, despite my ignorance, I think that the subject of some of these photos really stands out.

I've taken quite a few over the past years, and I'll post them here as often as I can. To get us started, though, here's one from the beach, taken just this past Thursday afternoon. Enjoy!


8 comments:

Leora said...

Beautiful. You are going to submit some of these to JPIX, right? Love all the pastel colors.

There are tons of wonderful photo memes, too - SkyWatch Friday would be a perfect place for this photo. I love traveling the world by photo blog.

toby said...

Yes, Leora, your carnival inspired me to start this blog! I would definitely be honored to participate in the next one!

Bubby said...

gorgeous! Mom

toby said...

Thanks! < blush >

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Toby -- came here after looking at your latest post (SWF); I really enjoyed what you say about digital photos vs the old style. And I love the name of your blog. Your mom is right ;>)

toby said...

Thanks, Sallie - and thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and comment!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! My daughter's first job was in a photoshop where they printed photos and sold film cartridges :)

toby said...

Those were the days :)