Monday, November 19, 2012

Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors! #51

Here we are, back again for that always-fun meme!
Well, I'm totally rejuvenated by your comments from last week! I personally have a great time with this meme, and will be happy to keep it going for as long as I can! I was just worried about you guys... but if you're happy, let's keep it up! I'm also looking into the idea of a thumbnail linky - I've been happy with the ridiculously easy to use services at Simply Linked, but I agree that thumbnails are fun, so if I can do it, I'm willing to give it a try! Anyway, thanks so much for your support, everyone! And if you want to encourage your friends to play along, that's fine too :)

On to this week's post! Here are some pictures from Chicago, the second half of that trip we made back in October of 2010. I can't believe I never shared these with you! I'll actually be back in Chicago for a short visit in a few weeks - it would be kind of absurd if I hadn't posted these before that :) 
I remember having a particular fondness for these structures, as a young girl - I found them mesmerizing! It was fun for me to see them again:

 Here's some "classic" Chicago architecture:
 But this is the kind of building that pops into my head when I think of actually living in Chicago:
That's all for now, folks! 
To participate in Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors! just post a photo of a window, door, or anything architectural, link here, and then sign up in the widget below. Thanks for coming, and have a wonderful week!

8 comments:

Lesley said...

oh my god! seriously, that is a car park?!

Ralph said...

The cylindrical flats are stacked like coins. Tall and ostentatious, yet neat architecture from the 1960s I'd guess...the older styles seem more classic in style, the brick facades and stylish windows having much more character than modern. Nice that you found Jerusalem in the Windy City! Hope all is okay in your land...

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I love those round towers! I agree they are mesmerizing. I've seen something similar in Tel Aviv back in 1995 - we have one round tower building here in Long Beach too. Round is always good in my book.

toby said...

Lesley: I think that the bottom bit is a car park, but above that there seem to be windows. Still crazy, though - right??

Ralph: Thanks for asking, we're okay. A little terrified, but trying hard to carry on with our regular lives...

Sara: You're right - this does look kind of like the round Azrieli tower! I'm also a big fan of round architecture :)

Patti said...

Those are fascinating structures, indeed. I've never been to the Windy City. Someday maybe!

I just read (my hubby) Ralph's comment..I didn't notice that the sign said Jerusalem. Very cool photo!

I hope you and yours are doing OK. Just watching the coverage on TV is terrifying.


toby said...

Patti: I'll tell you a secret - I didn't notice it either, until he mentioned that! Your Ralph has an excellent eye for detail :)

It is a little scary over here, I won't lie, but we're all hopeful that things will end well, and soon! with as little tragedy as possible. I never understand why we can't all just get along... thanks for your concern!

sparrow said...

That car park makes me dizzy! I love the brownstone at the bottom. I love brown, it is such an ordinary and homely colour. I think I'd feel comfortable living there, even if the drainpipe looks rather wonky!

Dina said...

Hey, the brick building looks like the back of my grandmother's flat, as seen from the L.

They used to call the Marina Towers the corncobs.